Friday, August 8, 2008

Mommy car and 14 week appt.

Mike and I have made our first large purchase as a married couple.  As many of you know (or may not know), we got home from our 3 weeks in Ohio about a month ago and the air conditioner in my car had died.  Yes, middle of summer, pregnant and no air...great combo.  We talked about it and realized that fixing the air would cost us close to, if not more than, what the car is worth so we decided it was time to start looking for a new one (which, if you've been in my car in the last two months, you know I need).  

We started looking online and talking to some friends who work for dealers and decided we wanted a small SUV, something safe that we can start building our family into.  I fell in love with a Saturn Vue that carmax listed one afternoon and I went to the lot to look at it and literally 3 hours after it had been posted, it was sold--and not to me.  Actually, the person we know who works there says that they never keep vue's on the lot because people love them so much.  I was disappointed but didn't want to give up.  

I convinced Mike to go out one afternoon to look at cars- we went and test drove a couple of new cars (just for fun) at one dealership and then went to the Saturn dealership to check and see if they had any vue's.  The salesman who met us at the door (how do they do that?  they must have some kind of sixth sense because as soon as our car pulled up at any dealer we had  personal welcoming committee) told us that they never had used Vue's because no one ever turned them in.  He showed us a new Vue, which we knew we couldn't afford and as we were getting out of it Mike spotted a used Vue tucked in a corner!  The salesman apologized profusely and said it must have just come in because he hadn't seen it yet (I was reluctant to believe a car salesman, but the guy seemed very genuine--and I had met with a few others that day who were less than).  It was the exact price Mike and I had agreed the night before we'd be able to pay and so within 2 hours we put the down payment on it and drove it off the lot.  It's a 2004 Saturn Vue, dark green.  I'll post pictures when I can.  I've been driving it around now for a week or so and I just love it!  It's exactly what I wanted.

In other news...we had our 14 week appointment with Dr. Kellogg yesterday.  I was nervous (as usual) was we went into the Dr.'s office and not ready to wait for 45  minutes to see him.  God must have known this because we only sat in the waiting room for about 10 minutes and when we went into the exam room the Dr. was already waiting for me!  They did the normal weight and blood pressure stuff and then he got the dreaded doppler out.  Now, for most, this is a joyous tool...not so for me.  I go into a cold sweat whenever I hear the word because I'm so freaked about not being able to find the heartbeat.  Again, God was right there and it took the Dr. not more than 2 seconds before he found a very loud, very strong heartbeat.  We listened for a few seconds and then we were done!  The whole appointment took about 10 minutes.  I think it's the fastest we have ever been in and out of the Dr.  

Our next appointment we will be on Sept. 4 to find out the sex of the baby!

No comments: