Thursday, August 21, 2008

New found "joys"

It seems like every day I encounter a new symptom I can attribute to being pregnant.  Actually, it works in my benefit sometimes because things that might happen outside of pregnancy that happen now I can blame on being pregnant and it gets a lot more sympathy--not that I'm using people--I'm not!  :)  

After two impromptu days off at the beginning of the week due to Tropical Storm (cough, cough...tropical sprinkle) Fay, I finally started work yesterday with a fresh new batch of 1st graders.  They seem a lot younger this year and require a lot more doting on, which is a little frustrating.  After my third trip to the  bathroom with the kids yesterday (yes, we have to take the ENTIRE class to the bathroom at least twice--20 minutes easy each time-- a day but mine decided they all needed to go a third time), a 20 minute snack break (because they couldn't concentrate without one in the afternoon), and a couple of the kids asking when they were going to get nap (that NEVER happened last year), I realized that this is going to be a very different kind of year.

We were also asked this year (k-1 teachers) to "graciously" sit with our kids during lunch this year in the cafeteria to keep the chaos to a minimum.  To comp us for our time, we are allowed to leave campus at 2:45pm as opposed to 3:15pm when we're supposed to go.  So...if we do the math...that's 7 hours with not so much as a bathroom break for me.  This would be fine if I wasn't pregnant, but it brings on some extreme discomfort.  

Not that I needed to get into that much detail about work, but I find that sometimes it adds a little spice and will probably have some interesting anecdotes to put in here throughout the year.  All of that to explain some of my new found pregnancy "joys."  

#1.  You don't have to be 8+ months pregnant to swell.  Nope- I learned that yesterday when my feet swelled up so big that I couldn't fit them in my shoes (after standing for most of the day) and my knees almost doubled in size. Time for some extra comfy shoes. 

#2.  Back pain is something I'm just going to have to accept does not go away.  It's been pretty constant lately and nothing I do (or Mike does) seems to alleviate it.  Heat, massages, sitting more...you name it, I've probably tried it.  I am starting to get used to it, though.

#3.  Heartburn.  It seems like EVERYTHING I eat or drink gives it to me-- even a glass of water...no joke.  I've tried all the normal stuff that has been recommended to keep it at bay- no spicy food, avoiding tomato products, not drinking carbonated beverages, but like I said, even water gives it to me.  Tums have become a staple in my diet.  :)

I guess when you get rid of the first trimester symptoms (morning sickness, more morning sickness, and even more morning sickness), the second trimester brings a whole new batch of wonderful!  :)  Actually, though, all of this really does reassure me that I'm still pregnant and daily helps give me a sense of peace.  

2 weeks until we find out if it's a baby boy or a baby girl!  :)  Any guesses?

No comments: