Monday, February 16, 2009

Mommyhood

Logan is almost 3 weeks old!  A lot of people say that the time has flown and they can't believe she's getting closer and closer to being a month old.  I can believe it!  I'm up with her during those long nights and the time has not flown for me (thank goodness)!  I am savoring every single moment I have with her.  I do not wish one second of her life away.  To those who count down the days until their child can sleep through the night, I say, enjoy this time of his/her life now...you'll never get them this little again, enjoy ALL of their life.  It's hard, I'll admit it-- when I'm up for the 3rd or 4th time with Logan on those rough nights, I know that it'll be easier when she's sleeping longer stretches, but I'm loving every single second I get with my baby girl-hard or not.

I love being a mommy.  I truly can say that God made me for this job.  There is NOTHING in this world I'd rather be doing at any given second than being a good wife and a good mom.  I live for those moments when I pick up Logan when she's crying and she instantly quiets down because she knows it's me.  I live for the moments when she's sleeping and I'm able to get the house picked up and stuff ready for Mike when he gets home from work.  I live for the moments when the three of us get to cuddle up together at night before Logan's bedtime and Mike and I get to show her how much we love her.  

A few things I've learned as a new mommy of a little girl:

1.  Sleep is INCREDIBLY valuable.  While I love my baby girl, and I love being with her, it's very hard to not sleep at night when everyone else is sleeping.  I will say that I do get more sleep  now than in my last 3 months of pregnancy, however, I was able to rest and relax a whole lot more when I was pregnant and I think that's the difference.  **To those about to be new mommy's- don't get offended when other mom's tell you to enjoy your sleep now.  As one of those who used to scoff when they would say things like that to me, it really is meant to be helpful and they are truly just trying to make sure that you enjoy every last second of "good sleep" you are able to get.  (By good sleep I mean sleep that is uninterrupted and deep.  :) )  I admit, I've now joined those mommy's who see preggos and tell them to enjoy their sleep!

2.  I have been "christened" by several baby boys in my days of babysitting/nannying and was looking forward to having a girl because I knew I wouldn't be sprayed.  I have now learned that while girls can't shoot straight up at your face, they can soak you anyway.  :)  It seems like no matter how long I wait for Logan to be done going to the bathroom, as soon as I open that diaper up, she pees on me.  I have finally started keeping a washcloth with me so that when I do open the diaper I can cover her before she gets the chance to make me change my clothing!

3.  I do 10 times more laundry now, and surprisingly, it's not because of the baby laundry.  I find that I go through more clothing now than I did before.  I have realized that none of my clothes are safe from disaster!  If Logan doesn't pee on my clothes, she poops on them...if she doesn't poop on them, she spits up on them...and if all of that doesn't happen then I leak milk all over myself.  I probably change 2 or 3 times a day.  I've gotten much better than when she was a brand new baby, though, and am able to protect myself a bit more now.

4.  Late night TV has taken on a whole new meaning for me.  When I was younger (about 11 years old), I dreaded bedtime and longed for the nights when I could stay up late and watch late night TV.  When I actually hit the age where my parents took my bedtime away, I LOVED staying up as late as I could to watch those shows.  After I got married and started working, I realized that those shows were just not that important anymore and if, by chance, I was up late enough to watch them, I knew the next day at work would be dreadful.  I now have re-kindled the flames with late night TV and know exactly what shows are on when I'll be up with little Logan and actually look forward to some of her feedings more than others because of what will be on TV!  


No comments: