Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Skin Woes


Well, it's official, our little one has sensitive skin. We had hints that she might in the first few days that we had her with us as she seemed to develop pretty nasty diaper rashes. We thought she might have the diaper problem because along with myself, my siblings also had very sensitive skin and we were all allergic to regular diapers. What I didn't expect was the eczema! A couple of weeks ago I noticed a slight rash forming under Lo's arms and right under her hairline. We thought it was a heat rash and so I did things to help with that- kept her in cotton onesie's during the day and a cotton long sleeved shirt/diaper in the evenings. This didn't do anything for her. The rash actually got worse! After looking up a few things I have come to realize that she's got a mild case of baby eczema. No biggie, just have to find something that works for her. So coming from a diaper rash fighting, eczema treating mommy, what works for us?




Ahh! Don't be overwhelmed (this actually doesn't include several other items we use that just didn't happen to be within arms reach during the photo shoot), we just have realized that it takes more than one product to help with these different woes. For her eczema I've started using Gentle Natural's Baby Eczema Cream. It was a little pricey but it's all natural and just helps lock in her own body's natural moisture to help heal itself. It's worked very well. I started using it liberally about 3-4 times a day and the rash has lightened several shades. Along with the Gentle Natural's, I also give her a lukewarm bath every evening. I only use soap about every other day (other than in her hair--I have to wash that nightly to get rid of the spit up smell) and then I rotate between two different soaps: Aveeno Baby and Method Baby. Again, gotta go with the hypoallergenic, natural stuff with her or the skin problems persist. The bath and the different soaps seem to help with the diaper rash, too.

For the diaper rash I rotate what I use. During the day I rotate between the butt paste, desitin, and method baby (which, again, works the best--it's the natural stuff-- so I use that one every other changing). Then after her evening bath I load her up with A&D because it repels the dirty stuff during the night, so if I don't wake up right away to change her it keeps the stuff from sticking to her and making the rash worse.

HOWEVER, the thing that helps the most with her diaper rash?

Her Bum Genius cloth diapers! What a life-saver these gems have been. Not only do they come in fun colors, but they're very good for her sensitive little bottom. If we're not using these then we have to use super sensitive pampers. Since I've been home full time, I've started using these exclusively during the day and have not had ANY rash problems. I can't recommend these enough--they're easy to use, no pins, no folding. I have 24 of them and only do diaper loads about 2-3 times a week. And the stink that people worry about? I don't think it's any worse than a trash bag full of disposables. In fact, I tend to be MORE grossed out by the disposable smell. So...cloth diapering works for us! We'll see what I say about that after doing it for a couple of months exclusively...ha!

Logan feels good today. She spent the morning in her bumbo while mommy cleaned up (as seen in the picture up top and the one you'll see in a minute) and is now taking a nice morning nap before we run errands this afternoon.


1 comment:

TheConnorClan said...

Eucerin works REALLY well for eczema... a lot of the all natural products tend to dry skin out a lot esp. the organic products. I learned this through winter in VA with Noah when he was 9 months old and had the skin of a 90 year old.
H