I don't have a picky eater. In fact, she's quite the opposite and will eat just about anything you put in front of her without questioning it. I've only found one or two things in her entire life that she's just flat out refused to finish after trying. It's been a huge blessing, though, I think a lot of it is because she gets what's put in front of her and if she doesn't finish it, she doesn't get a second choice. I like to keep things fun and interesting for her, though, because I know the same bland ways of eating veggies can get old. We've made mac n cheese with veggie noodles, we make all kinds of veggie chips and season them in different ways, she helps make veggie soups, we freeze veggies so she can eat them on hot days (she LOVES frozen green beans and peas) and yesterday we made spinach ice cream!
I know, it sounds disgusting. In fact, spinach is one of those things that she's refused to eat, so I was a little nervous when I found the recipe because I wasn't sure how she'd react to it and didn't want to have a tub of ice cream that wasn't going to be eaten. But, I thought it'd be a fun activity for us to do together and the ingredients weren't expensive.
I measured out the ingredients and let Logan dump them into the blender for us.
Ingredients:
3/4 cup frozen spinach
3/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks
A half of a peeled orange
3/4 cup coconut milk
1-2 bananas
Logan threw them all in and we let it blend for about 2 minutes (I actually added a little extra pineapple because we had it).
We pulled it out and put it in the freezer. Logan wanted some after dinner so it didn't have time to set, so her first taste of it was a little mushy but she loved it. This evening it was perfect! We pulled it out about 20 minutes before eating it so it could soften just enough to scoop and put it in a cone and voila! Spinach ice cream...which is actually more of a sorbet and tastes a lot better than it sounds. The proof is in the pictures:
She loved her "deen ice team" (green ice cream) and absolutely wanted more and then asked if she could share with daddy (sharing is our big lesson this week, it seems). I told him if she asked, I bet he'd try it. ;)



No comments:
Post a Comment